Most Reverend John Wong Soo Kau, DD
Telephone : 088-712297/715017/724305 Residence: 088-710394
Fax : 088-711222
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : http://kkdiocese.net/
Most Reverend John Wong Soo Kau, a Sandakan-born priest since 1999, was consecrated Coadjutor Archbishop at the Sacred Heart Cathedral on October 1, 2010.
Most Reverend John Wong Soo Kau, DD was born as the 7th of 11 children to Paul Wong Shui Tshun and his wife Rose Chung Thiem Yin on June 6, 1968 in Karamunting, Sandakan, Sabah. His mother and all his siblings are residing in Sandakan.
The late Fr Tobias Chi, the then rector of St Mary’s Church, Sandakan had much influence for his priestly vocation. Before his Seminary Formation at St. Peter"s College, Kuching, Sarawak, Archbishop Wong worked as a salesman. He was ordained a priest of Kota Kinabalu on Jan. 21, 1999.
He served as assistant parish priest of Sacred Heart Cathedral from 1999 to 2002, after which he studied spirituality for two years in Rome. On his return in 2004, he was made rector of the Catholic Diocesan Centre since then.
On 16 July 2007, he was incardinated as a resident priest in Sandakan.
Appointment as Bishop
3 years later, on 21 June 2010, Pope Benedict XVI (now Pope Emeritus) appointed him as the Coadjutor Archbishop of Kota Kinabalu. His episcopal ordination took place on 1 October 2010. On 1 December 2012, he was appointed as the Metropolitan Archbishop of Kota Kinabalu; once again by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.
He officially took over from Archbishop Emeritus Datuk John Lee whose resignation from the pastoral governance of the Archdiocese of Kota Kinabalu was accepted by Pope Benedict XVI on Dec 1, 2012.
Most Rev John Wong, aged 42 years and the youngest among all Arc/bishops in the Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei region, hails from Sandakan.
- Approximate general population : 1,381,292
- Approximate Catholic population : 208,231
- Parishes : 19
- Outstations : 300
- Adult baptism (above 7 years old) : 1,753
- Infant baptism (below 7 years old) : 2,453
- Priests : 37
- Religious Sisters : 135
- Religious Brothers : 6
- Seminarians : 15
- Catechists (full-time, part-time, voluntary) : 485
Malaysian Church News
- Church leaders to organise prayer vigil for peace and harmony
- Over 200 Chinese Legionaries attend annual Acies
- Franciscan Alumni donates RM50k to school building project
- CAC staff attend Lenten recollection at the church-by-the-river
- Reflection on the Solemnity of the Annunciation
- SCC and COSA to organise education forum for Sabah
- President General of SSVP International visits Malaysia
- Formation for IHD members in Kota Kinabalu Archdiocese